Louisville Astronomical Society (LAS) Board Meeting Minutes for March 2, 2007

Board members in attendance: Clark Barton, Ed Heiny, Greg Miller, Troy Atwood, Jann Hall, Pat Peak, Ken Anderson, Don Spain, Julia Aebersold, Karl Schmidt, Randy Beachler, Mike Sellers

Board members absent: John Turack

Guests: Denise Beachler

Mike called the meeting to order at 6:35 P. M.
Reading of minutes (Mike) Approved as Read
Treasurer’s Report (Julia) Current Balance $11,467.96
Remaining Expenses:

Water – $26.01, Electric – $20.00, Monthly Sundries (postage, etc.)- $100.00, Observatory Expenses – $100.00
Total End Budget $11,221.95
Membership 2006-2007 170 paid, 13 honorary ————— 183 Total

Optional: Astronomical League Membership is $35 for an individual; we are no longer going to do a global membership because of the expense to the club.

Sidewalk astronomy report (Pat) March 3 – Lunar Eclipse Observation, Long Run Park, 6:30 PM – 9:00 PM

March 21 – Nature Center Spring Walk, 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM

March 22 – Spencer County Elementary, 8:00 PM – 11:00 PM

March 23 – North Oldham Band Fundraiser; North Oldham Lions Club, 8:00 PM – 12 Midnight; March 23 – River of Stars Weekend at Leavenworth Inn, starts at 8:00 AM and ends March 24 at 5:00 AM

March 24 – Public Observation at Curby, 6:30 PM – 1:00 AM; April 2 – Bernheim Moonlight Walk, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM

July 21 – Patoka Lake Star Party, more details later

Lunar and Planetary report (Don) Lunar Eclipse March 3rd at Long Run Park; Don will send and e-mail for a “go/no go”. Local weather people will mention a few people will show up anyway. March 19 – Very Young Moon visible from 12 Midnight to 1:00 PM.

Librarian (Greg) No report; Greg has the books in a special spreadsheet and will send it out later.

Historian (Karl) Karl reported that he has the records from 1998 to present and needs board minutes.

Equipment Committee (Ed/Troy/John) The 16” is back together and works well, has been collimated; gets 20% more light now. Ken may have a buyer for the Dome (Rob Massey – $3,000). The afternoon at the 23rd Public Observation those in attendance will process the inventory at Curby for all equipment. The observatory roof jams and does not open all the way, the chain drive needs to be lubed and boards may be warped. Ken will contact Brian Sieg to have him look at it. There will be a work day on March 17 at the observatory – this is the night of the Messier Marathon – we have a dumpster now. The lawnmowers are out on Reamers Road, they need to be moved back to Curby; the John Deer needs a battery and the White needs a pulley. Greg made a motion to spend $500 to get the mowers repaired, Troy seconded. Passed unanimously. Pat Peak has some furniture he wants to donate to the new UAC; we just need to pick it up. The 12” is in bad shape; the alignment if off, the RS232 port is shot, no computer control. The ST8 Camera still works but has back lash, Troy donated a focuser kit which helped but did not fix it. It will be moved to Urban Astronomical Center and Julia will have her techs take a look at it. We need to switch the 12” with the 10” for Astrophotography purposes; Mike will do a temporary loan of his Super Wedge for the 10”

Technology Committee (Troy) Ed sent the motor to the Robo Focus back and they found nothing wrong with it; they say it is a software problem.

Equipment Needs (Ken/Mike) Troy got an offer from a gentleman in California on the JMI case. We can get the 8” for $323 from www.telescopes.com; we still need case for the 10” but we want to have it dedicated for Astrophotography. Eyepieces still tabled.

Projector Recommendation (Mike) Mike reported that we can get a Sharp RX10 for $750 + warranty: $970 (we need a copy of our 501C Certificate for no tax). Pat made a motion to raise the purchase of this projector to raise the purchase of this projector to $1,000, Greg seconded. Passed unanimously.

Finalize Long Term Planning (LPT) Documentation (Mike) Mike is going to work with Hilliard/Lyons to get a grant. He needs the project plan for the club.

MISC (All) UAC has been approved by the State of KY. Ken got a call from the CJ and Ken, Troy and Mike Morahan will work with them on the article. Chris Head and Ken will do the final contact. All equipment will remain the property of LAS. Light need to be controlled; we need to control the gates as well. The HVAC and plumbing in the building needs work. The building was a former pottery building and needs a major cleaning; we need to clean the building and paint as well. We need our logo on the side of the building.

The meeting adjourned at 7:45 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,
Jann Hall, Secretary – 222-7740 H/852-5699 W